Contact James Directly
James R. Andreen
Jim Andreen is a shareholder with Erstad & Riemer, P.A. His focus is civil litigation and appellate practice, concentrating in the areas of employment law, civil rights litigation, defense of governmental and corporate liability, and land use. He was admitted to the bar in 1986 and regularly appears before the Minnesota state trial courts, the Minnesota Court of Appeals, the Federal District Court for the District of Minnesota, and the United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Mr. Andreen was a cum laude graduate of Hamline University School of Law. He has presented before the National Business Institute, Minnesota Bar Association Public Law Section, Minnesota County Attorneys Association, National Risk Managers Association Conference, Minnesota Counties Human Resource Management Association/Minnesota Association of County Administrators Conference, Minnesota Sheriff’s Association, Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators and other groups on a number of topics.
Mr. Andreen regularly represents employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Minnesota Department of Human Rights, and the Minnesota Department of Civil Rights.
In college, Jim played rugby for the University of Minnesota Rugby Football Union Club and refereed hockey, which provided good experience for his later life as a trial lawyer. He enjoys playing hockey, golfing and skiing.
- University of Minnesota (B.A., 1983)
- Hamline University (J.D., 1986) (cum laude)
- Hamline Law Review, Member (1984-1986) and Primary Editor (1985-1986)
- Hennepin County Bar Association (Member, Civil Litigation and Labor and Employment Committees)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (Member, Civil Litigation, Public Law, and Labor and Employment Law Sections)
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (Director, 2005-2007) (Member, Government Liability and Employment Law Committees)
- Federal Bar Association
- Civil Litigation
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Governmental Liability Litigation
- Professional Liability Litigation
- “Employment-At-Will Is Alive” Minnesota Defense, Spring 2014
- “Disability Discrimination,” Minnesota Defense, Winter, 2002.
- Dukowitz v. Hannon Sec. Services, 841 N.W.2d 147 (Minn. 2014)
- Geist-Miller v. Mitchell, 783 N.W.2d 197 (Minn. App. 2010)
- Neudecker v. Shakopee Police Dept., 355 Fed. Appx. 973 (8th Cir. 2009)
- Follis v. Minnesota, 334 Fed. Appx. 792, 793 (8th Cir. 2009)
- Semler v. Klang, 603 F. Supp. 2d 1211 (D. Minn. 2009)
- Semler v. Klang, 743 N.W.2d 273 (Minn. App. 2007)
- Kind v. Frank, 329 F.3d 979 (8th Cir. 2003)
- Belton-Kocher v. St. Paul School District, 610 N.W.2d 374 (Minn. Ct. App. 2000)
- Greiner v. City of Champlin, 152 F.3d 787 (8th Cir. 1998)
- Wilde v. County of Kandiyohi, 15 F.3d 103 (8th Cir. 1994)
- Hewitt v. Montrose, 488 N.W.2d 5 (Minn. Ct. App. 1992)
We solicit and strongly encourage input from the client, the claims supervisor, or claims administrator responsible for the litigation. We know you demand a pragmatic, reasoned analysis of the dispute. You direct the litigation and control the expenses required for a successful result.
200 Riverview Office Tower
8009 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55425