Leon Erstad is one of the founders of Erstad & Riemer, P.A. Since 1976, he has concentrated his practice in litigation with an emphasis on insurance defense related liability and casualty practice. Mr. Erstad handles complex litigation, professional liability, insurance coverage law, and environmental law.
Born in Tyler, Minnesota, Mr. Erstad was admitted to the bar in 1976 and joined the law firm of Chadwick, Johnson & Condon, P.A. He was made a partner and practiced with that firm until the formation of Erstad & Riemer, P.A. in 1990. He was the Managing Shareholder from the inception of the firm for the next three years.
Mr. Erstad is listed in Who’s Who in American Law and Who’s Who in America. He has been selected as a Leading American Attorney in a peer survey conducted by American Research Corporation, an honor limited to six percent of the attorneys in Minnesota. The University of Minnesota has named him an Alumni of Notable Achievement. He is admitted to practice before Minnesota state and federal courts, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- University of Minnesota (B.A. English and B.S. Education, 1969)
- Temple University (J.D., cum laude, 1976)
- Associate Editor, Temple Law Quarterly, 1975-1976
- Fulbright Scholar, Moldova State University, 2002-2003
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- President, 2003-2004 Member, Executive Council, 2000-2005
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association and its torts and insurance practice section
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Insurance Law
- Professional Liability Defense
AV Peer Review Rated
- “Freedom of Information Act,” 49 Temple Law Quarterly 238, Fall, 1975
- “International Law and Dependent Territories: The Case of Micronesia,” 50 Temple Law Quarterly 58, Fall, 1976
- “Are You Covered? Developments in Environmental Insurance Coverage Law,” Minnesota Defense, Spring 1994
- Adjunct Instructor, Civil Trial Practice, William Mitchell College of Law, 1984-1994
- Lecturer, Numerous Seminars on Insurance Law and Litigation
- Fulbright Lecturer, Moldova State University, 2002-2003
- Fulbright Lecturer, Kazak Humanitarian and Law University, Almaty, Kazakhstan 2006-2007
- Faculty, MDLA Trial Academy, 2009-Present