Jim Andreen is a shareholder with Erstad & Riemer, P.A. His focus is civil litigation and appellate practice, concentrating in the areas of employment law, civil rights litigation, defense of governmental and corporate liability, and land use. He was admitted to the bar in 1986 and regularly appears before the Minnesota state trial courts, the Minnesota Court of Appeals, the Federal District Court for the District of Minnesota, and the United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Mr. Andreen was a cum laude graduate of Hamline University School of Law. He has presented before the Minnesota Bar Association Public Law Section, the Minnesota County Attorneys Association, the National Risk Managers Association Conference, the Minnesota Counties Human Resource Management Association/Minnesota Association of County Administrators Conference, and other groups on a number of topics.
Mr. Andreen represents employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Minnesota Department of Human Rights, and the Minnesota Department of Civil Rights.
In college, Jim played rugby for the University of Minnesota Rugby Football Union Club and refereed hockey, which provided good experience for his later life as a trial lawyer. He enjoys playing hockey, golfing and skiing.
- University of Minnesota (B.A., 1983)
- Hamline University (J.D., 1986) (cum laude)
- Hamline Law Review, Member (1984-1986) and Primary Editor (1985-1986)
- Hennepin County Bar Association (Member, Civil Litigation and Labor and Employment Committees)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (Member, Civil Litigation, Public Law, and Labor and Employment Law Sections)
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (Director, 2005-2007) (Member, Government Liability and Employment Law Committees)
- Minnesota School Board Association Council of School Attorneys
- Federal Bar Association
- Civil Litigation
- Civil Rights
- Employment Law
- Governmental Liability
- Land Use Litigation
- “Disability Discrimination,” Minnesota Defense, Winter, 2002.
- Kind v. Frank, 329 F.3d 979 (8th Cir. 2003)
- Belton-Kocher v. St. Paul School District, 610 N.W.2d 374 (Minn. Ct. App. 2000)
- Greiner v. City of Champlin, 152 F.3d 787 (8th Cir. 1998)
- Wilde v. County of Kandiyohi, 15 F.3d 103 (8th Cir. 1994)
- Hewitt v. Montrose, 488 N.W.2d 5 (Minn. Ct. App. 1992)